Sunday, July 29, 2012

Alternative Medicine

Ben Trnka

The largest event to prepare for this week was certainly the fieldtrip that our team organized on Wednesday focused on stress-reduction and alternative medicine. One aspect of the experience also centered around Chinatown and Asian culture, in which much of alternative medicine is studied and practiced. In preparation for the day, I went with David to explore the many assets of the Chinatown community, so that we could later accurately represent it to the rest of the team.

The trip around Chinatown was truly amazing and eye-opening. I find it incredible how many of these locations I have visited throughout the school year, but never fully explored or understood until this summer, and I believe that many of the students felt that way too. Firstly, it was the number and scope of all the herbal medical stores that really surprised me in Chinatown. According to one shopkeeper, the herbal medicine recipes are tailored towards each person out of 300 ingredients based on pulse, their tongue and one other factor. Even as we saw the old Chinese man carefully layer 6 different ingredients into an elegant little package, the whole thing seemed like magic to me. This amazement continued as we found birds’ nests, seahorses, shark fins and even deer tails being sold in various shops.

This overwhelming variety helped me gain an appreciation for the intricacy that is the art and science of eastern herbal medicine, and certainly has piqued my curiosity to learn more about it. It almost seems logical in my mind that if natural remedies are as effective as synthetic ones in managing symptoms, that they’re worth exploring and giving a try.

Aside from just the herbal medicine shops, the various temples, monuments and kitchen-ware stores that we saw really helped me see how that community was so self-sufficient and tight-knit. I’m glad to have had this experience, and will appreciate this community even more the next time I step foot in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment