Friday, July 13, 2012

Gardening Woes

Sierra James

Today my group volunteered at a community garden. The garden is located at 64th and Kimbark. The front of the garden was very organized and pretty. Then the back was very different and that’s the part we worked on. Meg owned the back part. She planted pumpkins, tomatoes, corn, greens, and cucumbers. Part of my team went to go get barrels full of wood chips. They were supposed to pick up weeds then lay wood chips on top. The other half, including me watered plants. It may seem like it’s not a lot to do but it was. We constantly went back to fill the containers with water. On top of that it was very hot outside with many bugs. Mud constantly got on my legs, hands, and feet. This is, once again, something I wouldn’t want to do again. I wished I was working at the soup kitchen across the street, like on Tuesday. The whole outside nature thing is not for me. I am thankful for this experience because it helps me to learn that working outside isn’t for me. What I have learned from this experience is how to garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment