Monday, July 2, 2012

Volunteering & Vegan Food

Aliyah Singleton

This week with SSP has been all about helping and volunteering in the community and trying new things. On Tuesday, we volunteered at First Presbyterian's soul kitchen. This was a fun and frustrating experience because I liked helping the church and local citizens, but some people were rude and demanding. I didn't like how the volunteers and I were mistreated by some of th people being served food, but I was happy to help and give out positive energy and service. 


Later on that day, we volunteered at St. Martin's day camp. We introduced ourselves and played some fun games with the kids. Then, we taught them how to use Microsoft Word and Excel to increase their knowledge of computer programs and help them get ready for school. I also turned a jump rope for the little girls jumping rope, and I was glad to see them being active and having fun at the same time.


 On Wednesday and Thursday, I most definitely tried new things by eating different foods at two vegan restaurants. The first restaurant we visited was Soul Vegetarian where my favorite food was the Buffalo Tofu that tasted like chicken.  It surprised me that I would enjoy the tofu because it was vegan and far out of my "food boundaries". The other restaurant was a raw vegan deli called B' Gabs Goodies. Here I had a chipotle burger that was not a burger; it was made out of nuts and seeds. I didn’t like it that much, but I did enjoy the pad Thai salad, broccoli salad, and a strawberry-mango-banana smoothie. I'm proud of myself for trying new healthy foods, even if I didn’t like all of it.  





No comments:

Post a Comment